Pages

Tuesday 27 January 2015

THE CIRLCE BY DAVE EGGERS (REVIEW)




I know I’m a little bit behind on the hype of this book, but I don’t care because it’s great! I started reading it about a half a year ago and loved it… but the usual, stuff got in the way and I never ended up finishing it… until now!

I’m a massive geeky- literature nerd, I study English Lit at university and I’m constantly reading or buying books, it keeps me sane.  There’s a lot of power in walking into a heavily stacked bookshop and spending hours perusing the shelves for your next literary adventure, or watching your own shelves start to fill up as you build your own collection- I just love it! From used charity shop books, to Waterstones brand spanking new books, I really do love them all and the physical feel of holding a book will never ever be replaced (hence why Kindles are just not my thing!). But I was naughty with this book as did the “buying a book by its cover” thing… I saw the beautiful, bright, intriguing cover and just had to find out what it was about. I read up on it and wowza it sounded good, so without hesitation- I got it!... Easy peasy. 

The Circle is a story of Mae, when she is hired to work for the Circle, the world's most powerful internet company; she feels she's been given the opportunity of a lifetime. Run out of a sprawling California campus, the Circle links users' personal emails, social media, and finances with their universal operating system, resulting in one online identity and a new age of transparency. Mae can't believe her great fortune to work for them - even as life beyond the campus grows distant, even as a strange encounter with a colleague leaves her shaken, even as her role at the Circle becomes increasingly public ... Gripping right?!...

What makes this novel so successful is Dave Eggers on point commentary of the ever increasing power and importance of social media - and when I say importance, I don’t mean it as a positive. Our society is shifting to thrive off the lack of publicity, we feel the need to post a continuous stream of photos about every happening in our life, statuses about the most problematic things that are happening to us and it’s just getting too much! Facebook is slowly changing its policies and paperwork so that it can inch its way into our computers, lives and minds; to control and see all our information - to be frank it’s just scary. Therefore Eggers sees these worries and makes them bigger in the novel, to perhaps make a prediction on the way our society will shift if we don’t become more private. The ‘young adult’ feel to it means it’s accessible to everyone, and the laid back tone is information, yet not overly descriptive or “heavy”. 

If you can’t tell already I really loved the book, and I think if I was to re-read it, it’d just get better. It’s quick, easy and absolutely seeping with tech-savvy creations and innovative ideas. 

If you like 1984- you’ll love this! If you haven't read 1984 read this first!

Tell me what you thought of the book... or

BUY HERE

-Ioana x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment