Pages

Saturday 30 April 2016

THE SECRET HISTORY BY DONNA TARTT (REVIEW)



So just to start this post off guys… This is possibly one of the best books I’ve read for a LOOOONNNG time and I’m gonna be shouting about it from the rooftops for quite a while!
I’d seen Youtuber Books and Quills talk about this book and I thought why not buy it, it sounds kind of interesting and it was part of the Amazon 3 for £10 deal- even better! 

Starting the book I wasn’t completely grabbed by it, maybe because I wasn’t giving it my full attention or maybe because I’d just read 2 books really quickly and my brain was still lagging behind with the previous story… but yeah I wasn’t hooked. BUT me being me I couldn’t leave it unread so I stopped for a while and came back to it and that’s where the fun started. 

What I loved so much about it was the mystery, the simplicity, the presence of the forgotten past in the lives of these beautifully developed characters and by the end of the book I wanted to start reading Classical Greek literature as well as feeling like I’d made a bunch of new friends.  The depth that Tartt goes into with her characters is perfection and every event, sentence and word is hand-picked to be just right.  As well as this, it’s lyrical, visual and ultimately transports you to the story so you feel you’re experiencing it alongside the characters. 

Yes the story line is mysterious and has its ups and downs but don’t go into the book expecting anything big or flashy because you’ll be disappointed. It’s rooted in real life emotions and is very relatable to the lives of college (university) students, like myself. 

The several twists that Tarr threw my way kept me hooked and statements like ‘No way!’ or ‘I wouldn’t have thought that’ regularly escaped my lips. 

I’ll definitely be reading it again, once I’ve passed it around everyone I know.

Let me know what you’re favourite reads are and what you’d class as you’re favourite recent read?

Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment